View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 06, 2005, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

5-man: We have R facing scoreboard with U and BJ facing the R about 10 yds away. LJ brings home captains to center and L visitors so that the L and LJ wind up next to the U and BJ. We end up with captains facing each other and the other 4 officials facing the R.

I have captains shake hands. I introduce the officials. I give the short sportsmanship speech (required by the state). Then, as R, I have the visiting captain call the toss before I toss it. I repeat his call and the other officials echo it. I toss it and I let it hit the ground.

The leadership of our association met informally with area head coaches prior to the season and requested that they instruct their captains as to exactly what they wanted in terms of choosing options at the toss. So far so good. If I were coach, I'd say your only choices if you win the toss are to defer or to receive. (Unless you have hurricane force winds to deal with.) The reason I mentioned this to the coaches is that a couple years ago a captain messed up. The coach said before the game, "We screwed up, didn't we?" I said, "Yep, you'll be kicking off twice."