Thread: Faking a charge
View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 06, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

FWIW, I personally like the fact I can call a T for an obvious flop. The only reason for a flop is to deceive the referee into making a wrong call, and I think, and the Fed. seems to agree, is that is an unsporting act that does not belong in basketball. So they have given us the tool (sledgehammer?) to make sure unsporting acts do not occur.

Now, that said, I have only called this once, and that was after warning the same player about this earlier in the game. The coach also had no problem with the call, because it was obvious. A long time ago I also called a T on a player who was trying to draw the charge by grabbing the offensive player's jersey and pulling that player down on top of himself. To me, that's the same thing, just an attempt to deceive. I've also seen instances where players have gone down expecting contact, but somehow none occurs. In cases like this, there probably isn't an intent to deceive, so the sledghammer isn't necessary. But it seems as though there's always some form of contact because of this flop; not necessarily at the moment of the flop, but usually afterwards. After the flopper is on the floor, the offensive player trips or steps on the player on the floor. That's where I can see using the lesser tool (calling the block instead of the T), because the player on the floor does not have LGP.

And is it just me, or have others noticed that is seems as though the louder the grunt by the defensive player, the more likely it's a flop?

(Used with permission.)