Thread: WNBA
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 07:12am
If you need me, text me!

Re: Re: From Toliver's camp

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes

How'd you like Tolliver's? I was thinking about going next year. Please tell me more about the camp and your overall experience. Thanks
This year was my second trip (first was in '98) to Harrisonburg for George's camp. I truly enjoyed my time there. It is a fantastic teaching camp with NBA, NBDL, and NCAA officials as clinicians. They work extremely hard at ensuring everyone learns whether they are in their first year of officiating or working NBA summer league (we had officials at both these extremes at camp this year).

It is NOT a tryout camp. Although a few supervisors do attend for a day. This year Brenda Gelston (Colonial Women) and Luis Grillo (MEAC men) both made appearances at camp. I don't know if they picked anyone up but they did get a chance to see 40 officials, many of whom are young, quality officials. George is also now on the NBA/WNBA supervisory staff so I assume if he liked someone he could get you a shot in the NBA system (starting with the D League).

Other positives are that you stay in a hotel, eat great food (Subway lunches and a local restaurant for dinner). You usually work no more than 3 games in a day as well.

This year camp did not fill up but in the past it has been at capacity. You can get more information at http://www.toliverbasketball.com

Hope this helps! I am definitely trying to go back next year.

OCReferee