View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
1) By rule you are saying that you can have a flagrant T during a live ball.
A flagrant foul doesn't have to involve contact? I am confused then, because to my knowledge, there are no types of fouls in the rulebook that you can call that involve no contact.

2) Lastly, I don't know much about IAABO, but do they make their own rulings about plays and not follow NFHS rulings, because you make it sound like the board found a rationale to award three free throws.
[/B]
1) No, unsporting technical fouls do not have to involve contact and can also be deemed flagrant. They can occur during either live or dead balls.Example---> "F**k you, ref".

2) IAABO is an association that basketball officials may, or in the case of some states, have to join. In some north-eastern states, they have been mandated by the governing state high school body as the official state referee's association. As such, they act as the official interpreter of NFHS rules in that particular state. IAABO also issues their own rules examination to their members each year. That examination may have errors in it and IABBO may also make some inaccurate rules interpretations too. No biggie- because the NFHS itself has made errors quite a few times on it's own exams.

If you would like more info, here's their web site:

http://www.iaabo.org/ [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with you JR about the flagrant T, I thought about that when I was writing the reply but it didn't seem to fit with my argument. I should have wrote my reply like the NFHS rulebook with the "EXCEPTION" part right underneath it.