View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Let me first say that in this case you cannot assess a flagrant technical because the ball is not dead

I don't see why not. The ball being live has nothing to do with whether or not you can assess a flagrant T.

Quote:
and you can't assess a flagrant foul because there is no contact with the player.

I don't see why not. A flagrant foul does not have to involve contact.

Quote:
You also can't award three free throws for a flagrant technical, because it is dead ball contact.
Well, you're 0-for-3, b/c it's NOT dead ball contact. You're not even consistent with what you've written above. There was no contact on the shooter at all (which is what you said in the second passage above). And the block occured during a live ball (which is what you said in the first passage above). So there's no way to view this as dead ball contact.

Quote:
I do believe though you can award a T for an unsporting act, and a team T for more than 5 players being on the floor while the ball is live, thus awarding the other team 4 free throws.
This seems very reasonable to me.

In our previous discussion of this we spent a little while wondering if you could award 3 shots for a T. I can't seem to remember what machinations we had to go thru to make it ok, but somebody came up with a pretty good rationale.
By rule you are saying that you can have a flagrant T during a live ball.

A flagrant foul doesn't have to involve contact? I am confused then, because to my knowledge, there are no types of fouls in the rulebook that you can call that involve no contact.

In my third passage I was just making that note as a side bar, I was trying to say that if someone assessed a flagrant technical you can't award three FTs because it is a technical and all technicals in HS carry a penalty of 2 free throws. Also as a side bar I meant to say that you can call a flagrant foul on a three if you deem the CONTACT unecessary and excessive and then award three FTs.

Lastly, I don't know much about IAABO, but do they make their own rulings about plays and not follow NFHS rulings, because you make it sound like the board found a rationale to award three free throws. And on that topic if the board is going to come up with a penalty for it, why not find a way to award the kid more than three free throws, because the kid coming off the bench to block the shot in my eyes is unbecoming to the game of basketball and how it is supposed to be played. Therefore, I would find a way to award the team a chance to win the game. That might just be me though.