View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 26, 2005, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Let me first say that in this case you cannot assess a flagrant technical because the ball is not dead

I don't see why not. The ball being live has nothing to do with whether or not you can assess a flagrant T.

Quote:
and you can't assess a flagrant foul because there is no contact with the player.

I don't see why not. A flagrant foul does not have to involve contact.

Quote:
You also can't award three free throws for a flagrant technical, because it is dead ball contact.
Well, you're 0-for-3, b/c it's NOT dead ball contact. You're not even consistent with what you've written above. There was no contact on the shooter at all (which is what you said in the second passage above). And the block occured during a live ball (which is what you said in the first passage above). So there's no way to view this as dead ball contact.

Quote:
I do believe though you can award a T for an unsporting act, and a team T for more than 5 players being on the floor while the ball is live, thus awarding the other team 4 free throws.
This seems very reasonable to me.

In our previous discussion of this we spent a little while wondering if you could award 3 shots for a T. I can't seem to remember what machinations we had to go thru to make it ok, but somebody came up with a pretty good rationale.