View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 26, 2005, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
This isn't a question, so much as an interesting play that we've talked about at length a couple of times and IAABO's "approved" ruling:

#2) Team A is trailing by 3 points when A1, in front of the Team B bench, attempts a 3-point try at the buzzer. B7 comes off the bench and blocks the ball just after A1 releases the ball. The horn sounds. Official charges Team B with a flagrant technical foul and awards Team A three FTs. Is the official correct?Answer key says Yes. Seems reasonable. Just wish there was a case play to back it up.
Me and a couple other officials talked about this play and by rule we all thought there isn't anything you can do within the limits of the rules, but after thinking about it I think there is.

Let me first say that in this case you cannot assess a flagrant technical because the ball is not dead and you can't assess a flagrant foul because there is no contact with the player. You also can't award three free throws for a flagrant technical, because it is dead ball contact.

I do believe though you can award a T for an unsporting act, and a team T for more than 5 players being on the floor while the ball is live, thus awarding the other team 4 free throws.

I lost my rule book and casebook a little while back though so if I am wrong about any of it I would like to know. I am just saying this by memory, and not a very good one at that