View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Do we really want equity in assigning? And what's your definition of equitable?

In my association the games aren't equally distributed, and it will never happen. There are guys who do nothing but ref, and there are guys who have to juggle reffing with all their other commitments so they don't get as many games.

But there are also those people who piss off an assignor, or who the assignor doesn't like. While this isn't really fair, there's nothing you can do about it. If you appoint someone else as assignor they'll just play favourites and neglect those they don't like. Part of officiating is politics, and if you don't like it, there's not much that's gonna change.

I can say for certain that if I was an assignor, I know I'd probably give my friends and those I like more games than those who piss me off. It's all politics, and playing the politics is part of the game.

BTW, I'm happy with the amount of games I get each year, and if I had the option to look at the assignors master sheets I wouldn't as I feel it will just cause more trouble then we need. We have coaches and fans yelling at us constantly, do we really need to turn on eachother?