Thread: Dangerous Play?
View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phatneff
Ward, I see your point, but it's incorrect. You can't make a call based on an assumption. All calls are either black or white, meaning they did happen or they didn't happen. The defender here is going for the ball, and missed both the attacker and the ball. No foul whatsoever. It was aggressive attempt that failed.

Regarding the black or white reference, even when a player attempts to strike an opponent and misses, the actual event did happen (striking, even though missed) and should be called. In your scenario, it was an aggressive fair tackle that missed, but it was "fair" so there should not be a call anyway. Does that make sense.

For me, very seldom is a dangerous play call made. It's usually something else such as tripping or kicking.
Ward,
1. You're not crazy.
2. I happen to disagree with phatneff that "All calls are either black or white,..." and I don't believe that this challenge HAS to be considered "fair" just because no contact was made with the opponent.

Being the Referee in a soccer match is more art than science. The best Refs are the ones that adapt and manage each game differently. They call what is appropriate for the skill level, aggressiveness, age, size, etc., of the two teams playing in that particular match on that particular day.
In short, what is a foul in one match may not be a foul in another. It all comes down to THE OPINION OF THE REFEREE. Those are the most important words in officiating soccer.
3. I wasn't there, I didn't see your play. You did. So what is important is what did you think. I can only give you some guidelines for your thought process.
How physical has the play been in the match so far?
Are both teams being aggressive? Did this particular challenge stand out to you? In other words, was it vastly different than the way the players had been tackling in the rest of the match?
What was the reaction of the player who had the ball? Was he upset by the opponent's action? By his actions did he make it clear to you that he felt he was endangered?

4. I have called dangerous play in both HS and USSF matches when the player does NOT make contact with the opponent. Now, I have not done it very often, but there are times when it is clearly for the good of the game.
Another route I have taken is to not call a foul on the play, but have a stern word with a player about his action at the next stoppage. This has been effective in putting a stop to the unwanted behavior.

5. Lastly, as you know, the NFHS rules and the USSF Laws do support a foul call on a play like this. You could use dangerous play (12-6-1 NFHS, Law 12 USSF) or even ATTEMPT to trip (12-1-2, Law 12) to justify the call. The first results in an IFK, the latter a DFK restart. If you need further justification for a coach or player remember that protecting the safety of the players is a primary directive from the NFHS committee. Of course, it is also of paramount importance in USSF matches.

So my advice to you is to go with what you feel is best for those players in that game, and make sure that you have their respect and you will get acceptance for a call like this.