Thread: LLWS
View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 21, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Annoying little things I've noticed in both the baseball and softball game umpires:

Today's KY/LA game, PU gives count after almost every pitch including a lead-off ball. He is the first umpire I've noticed that isn't bending over with hands on knees. Closest thing to working a good slot, but he seems awfully deep to see the outside of the plate.

3B umpire seemed to be doing a lot of dancing trying to get into position for calls. Made one call at 3B which his signal had him ending up looking at 2B.

Noticed line umps were in fair territory. Don't understand the reason for that.

Also, lot of contact at 1B. Maybe LL will start looking at the double-base even though I'd rather see the players be taught the position properly.

Other games, umpires returning to a set position looking at nothing after the play.

I know these guys are volunteers and for that reason alone they should garner our respect. I just think many could be that much better with more consistant training.

And, as an ASA umpire, I just cannot resist noting how much some of the shoes these guys are wearing reminds me of Shamu.