View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 24, 2001, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

This is one of those situations that you have to be present to make a judgment. My crew is an experienced crew and we like to do as much preventative officating as possible. The trail official on free throws at the second horn would break up the huddle and give a verbal warning that the ball will be placed in play on the next delay out of the huddle. We would then wait for the the team to occupy the lane. The next delay would result in blowing the whistle and placing the ball on the floor and begin the 5 sec. count on a dead ball throw-in. If after the verbal warning Team B still delays for a free throw by shooting team A (by not having the blocks filled) would result in a technical.
We also give a verbal warning (such as holding both arms straight out with palms up saying "Coach, I have heard enough!" to coaches before assessing a technical as part of our preventative officiating. A coach typically knows when he is going to get rung up. As an added note, I usually wait until his team has control of the ball before "sticking him/her" with a T.