View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 24, 2001, 11:41am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by walter
Three person crew. A1 drives to the basket, begins throwing motion, gets fouled, ball goes in. Prior to ball being at disposal of A1 for her free throw, team B requests and is granted a time out. At first horn, both benches notified that first horn has sounded. At second horn, Team A is on the floor and ready to resume play but Team B is still in their huddle. After waiting a couple of seconds, and checking with his two partners, the administering (lead) official bounces ball to A1 leaving both underneath lane spaces unoccupied. A1 misses. The lead official sounds his whistle and calls a violation on B and awards a substitute free throw. Team B breaks their huddle but is non-chalantly walking to position. Mt partner waits for Team B players to occupy the bottom spaces and play proceeds on. At halftime, coach of team A wants to know why we didn't "T" team B for delay. We explained that the first time is a violation and if Team B did it a sedond time it would be a "T". I don't have my books with me but I'm pretty sure we got this right and there's a casebook play that is pretty close. What do you think?
walter,
If this was an antagonistic act by Team B, then I would have not problem doing what they did, but I would want to be sure the "warning buzzer notification" was given to the huddle as a minimum.
I initially give Team B a lot of leeway, at first, before administering the free throw, or before I put the ball on the floor for a throw-in. One of us would go back and remind Team B that were are ready to go. The Trail is right there. Say something. Don't look for boogers.
I would want to know that the delay was an overt display, and not just an innocent act.

mick