Thread: Ohh my
View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
See this is what I don't understand. Let's say you're working the finals of a tournament (not LL, PONY for example), and the TD comes to you before the game and says,

"I know you're a base umpire today, but I want you to take your plate brush out there with you and I want that base kept clean."

Please tell me that there are people on this board that would comply. I know you may not like it, I know I wouldn't, but in all honesty, if you tell me that you would not do the game rather than clean off a base every once in a while, then I think you need to get your head examined.

P.S. Someone better go make some popcorn because I'm sure I just p!ssed a lot of people off.
You haven't p!ssed me off but I would not comply and I don't need my head examined. Consider the following:

Each time that we work a game, there is potentially someone in the stands (or watching TV) that can influence our access to the next level. You only get one chance to make a first impression. If they see us do something that they think is unprofessional, we probably won't get a chance to make a second impression.

On more than one occasion, I have walked out of a tournament because of off beat requests by a TD. As a BU, I would not carry a plate brush on the field at a TD's request any more than I would take a dump at home plate.

The TD has a right to order the umpires to do whatever he wants. It's his tournament. I have a right to evaluate his requests in terms of my career and decline the game. I'm an independent contractor.

The attitute of umpires at this forum is a reflection of the attitudes that they pick up in their local associations. You ignore those attitudes at the peril of your career. If all you care about is being a little league umpire, by all means put a plate brush in both hip pockets. Put a ball bag on too and stuff a couple more plate brushes inside.