View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I originally started a post but got interrupted, hit the wrong key and wound up having to quickly delete it because I couldn't finish it... sorry.

I started it off by saying something like I can't wait to see the debate on this one. An then followed that up with I'd disagree with anyone who says it is legal.

I still feel that and believe our "Safety" conscience NF rules people undermined player safety with this ruling. Sure, it may happen only once a season but to let a guy who asked for FC protection to get slammed because he bobbled (i.e muffed) the ball is just not right.
However, I do have to agree it is not a foul under currently written NFHS rules.

Couple years back, NCAA added a rule that affords the receiver who has given a valid signal, FC protection even if he muffs the ball provided the opportunity to complete the catch is there present. The kicking team has to adjust for that should it occur.
I'm sure if I dig up the rule change memo it says something about player safety as he is still in a vulnerable position.
Maybe I'm too obsesed with the NCAA version, but that's the way I feel. NF should change their rule.