View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 21, 2001, 09:46pm
Administrator

Re: Double Foul

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
We're told to call the double foul when its warranted, but in most cases you have to call the double foul because you didn't call the first foul. IOW, if you're calling very many of those you are not officiating properly. My impression is one double foul per game is too many.

Please do not fall for the myth of one double foul per game is too many. No one likes to have to officiate a game the requires a double foul to be called. When I have a pregame with an official who I have never officiated with and he tells me that he does not call double fouls or technical fouls I know that I might be in for a long night. Comments like that tell me that my partner does not have the right stuff to do the job.

I tell officials, especially new officials, do not go looking for obscure infractions, but when the unusual happens do not be afraid to take care of business.

As for thinking that a double foul in the post means that the first foul was missed is another myth. Yes, it happens, but it does not mean it is the norm. I do not like rough post play and if you were to analyze most post play at the beginning of the game it is a 50-50 proposition as to who starts the rough post play at the beginning of the game. Sometimes your first call is a foul on the offensive post player and sometimes it is on the defensive player and sometimes you just cannot help calling a double foul.

It is my opinion that a legitimate double foul call or a legitimate foul on the offensive post player early in the game goes along way is setting the tone for post play in the game.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio