View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 07:21pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
I received a copy of the Part I Proofing Copy as well as the rules references for the "correct" answers at our State Rules meeting this past Saturday. Finally able to check the answers that I submitted on my answer sheet, I find two possible errors:

#84 - the rule reference is to 9.6.3 Situation A in the Casebook (should be 9.6.3 Situation, since there is only one situation referencing that rule).

The problem , as I see it, is that the casebook situation has the CF on Team S reaching across the net, not contacting the ball, but contacting the setter's HAND. 9-6-3 in the rules book reads "A player shall not contact a ball which is completely on the opponent's side of the net unless the contact is a legal block."

This question on the test is ambiguous at best, IMO, because we do not know if the setter's contact is to be considered an attack hit or if it is the team's third contact. I felt that play should not continue because I had a reach-over (not knowing if the contact by the CF was a legal block or not) since we are not supposed to read anything else into the play.

#96 - the answer sheet references rule 9-4-5: "Legal contact is a touch of the ball by a player's body, above and including the waist which does not allow the ball to visibly come to rest or involve prolonged contach with a player's body." In this question, the ball is attacked by Team R and it bounces off a Team S player's head. I cannot find a foul within the context of the given play since the ball contacted the player above the waist (off the head) and it did not visibly come to rest or involve prolonged contact (it bounced).

I asked the intepreter what the foul was in this question and she couldn't determine it either. Hopefully this one will be corrected.

That's it for the really obvious ones that I found to disagree with.

Other than those two, I thought that question #1 was the only question that was really ambiguous and poorly worded because it references both "After the start of the match" and "to begin the match" in the same sentence (referring to when the state association determines a forfeit). With both of those references in the same question, it is difficult (if not impossible) to determine the correct answer.

I will say that this year's test is not too bad compared to some that we have had in the past where there were lots of ambiguities and mistakes.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)