View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 20, 2001, 09:14pm
Administrator

There is no reason for any post player to put a fore arm on the back of another post player. The reason we are in this difficult position is the for years officials have not called pushing fouls (usually a player control foul) on the offensive post player backs down and/or knocks down the defensive player who has a legal guarding position.

I tell the defensive player only once to keep his/her fore arm off the offensive post player. If he/she does not take it off, it is a foul. If the defensive player tells me that he/she needs it there to keep from being pushed out of position I tell him/her to let me take care of that. The next thing you know, I have pushing (player control) foul on the offensive player.

Once you start calling that foul on the offensive player, the defensive player realizes that he/she does not need to protect themselves from being pushed out of position and the offensive player realizes that he/she just cannot go pushing defensive players out of the way. And then you have good clean post play.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio