View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

I would think that 7.05 (f) would be more applicable in this situation. The rule deals strictly with a fair ball that bounces or is deflected. Notice that the rule doesn't say the ball has to be batted, just fair. In your case, it would be a deflected ball. It is still a two base award.

I wish I had my J/R manual here to verify the rule, but I believe it to be correct.

7.05 (f) Two bases, if a fair ball bounces or is deflected into the stands outside the first or third base foul lines; or if it goes through or under a field fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery or vines on the fence; or if it sticks in such fence, scoreboard, shrubbery or vines;
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates