Thread: Interference?
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Cool

I worked a game last night that I may have blown the call on.

Bottom of the 4th with R1( doesn't really matter though I'm just trying to set the table )
B1 hits a towering pop up between home and first that is over foul territory about 25' up the baseline.
F2 and F3 charge towards the ball attempting to make what should have been an easy putout.

BR is right handed and carries the bat up the baseline before discarding it. The bat is in his left hand and is discarded forward into foul territory. F2 is called off by F3 as F3 continues toward the ball. It appears as if F3 will make an easy catch. The discarded bat has settled under the area the ball will land. As F3 takes his last step before attempting the catch, he slips on the bat and falls missing the ball.

I called the BR out for interference even though I didn't think there was intent on his part to interfere.I considered it " willfull indifference " on his part.

Did I kick this one?

I should add that the reason I described the bat as being "discarded" and not "thrown" is that there was no UC on the batters part as he simply dropped the bat a bit late, and it's momentum carried it forward.

Thanks guys,

Tim.