Thread: Runner On Base
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

First off, a big "Hi Ya" to a fellow Ohio blue! I am an OHSAA baseball and ASA umpire located in Columbus.

As for your original question, you've already had the correct answer supplied. After the force out is removed (B/R was retired) the runner at first may return safely to first base.

Now, a question for you. What sort of training is available for NSA umpires in Ohio? Is there a certification or registration process?

I'm curious because the largest adult slow pitch softball leagues in my area plays under NSA sanction. The Columbus Recreation and Parks department runs a summer program with over 100 leagues, made up of about 800 teams and nearly 10,000 players. As you can imagine, the need for umpires in these leagues is great!

With around 8000 games to fill, many of the umpires are less-than-great. Besides the 8000-or-so games sponsored by Columbus, the surrounding suburbs offer probably another 4000 game opportunities. And that is just for summer ball. Add in the fall programs and I would imagine nearly 20,000 slow pitch games are played in this area from April through October.

I am curious about the NSA umpire certification process, since there is a nearly unlimited opportunity to work games in my area.