View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 06, 2005, 08:42am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT Juggling Referee gave me an idea when he brought back a meaningless post from 6 years ago. I was bored, so did some looking back in the archives for some posts which got a lot of discussion.
Woohoo! My silliness stirred meaningful conversation! I feel good today.

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT A22 advances the ball beyond the NZ and attempts to hand the ball forward to to A75 at A's 30 who cannot handle it. The ball, now on the ground, is picked up by A40 who runs for a TD. What do you have?
My opinion here is that the Canadian Ruling is that we have an offside pass subject to penalty.

Flag the spot of release of the hand-off pass. Since the outcome of the play was in A's favour, B will accept to have downs continue at point of foul, which is where your flag is.

However, it is all based on the covering official's judgement. Once beyond the LS, if such a pass is deemed to be directed forward, then the best the team can do is that spot of release of the directed pass. If the judgement of the official is that it was not directed, and therefore is a fumble, when it's just that: a fumble, and the play results in a TD. Since there was an offside player near the ball carrier, and the BC decided to hand the pass to him, and he "coulnd't handle it", it leads me to believe that the pass was intentional and therefore illegal.