View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
One thing that is certain - working 3-man, you MUST know what your partners are doing. I give it an extra 10 minutes pregame if working with ANYONE I've not worked with before. There are many things that people have learned over time that may differ from what you are used to, regardless of whether your way is "right" or "wrong".

3-man mechanics can look EXTREMELY beautiful to anyone who knows what they are seeing... if everyone's on the same page. They can also look EXTREMELY awful if anyone screws up.

The one thing that should never happen is for one of the 3 to get "crossed up". Pregame is imperative, and cover EVERYthing.
Agreed. We had pregame, and this particular "rotation" was not discusssed, and it did not dawn on me that it needed to be because I have never rotated to the plate from 1B after a banger. Two weeks later I worked a state tournament with the same PU and 4 guys I had not worked with. I brought it up at the pre-tournament umpires meeting and we all got on the same page. U1 would not be expected to cover home after a play at 1B. PU has the plate, and U2 has 2nd and 3rd.