View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Sorry Tex, I agree with MC on this. A runner can not be obstructed from 40' away. Unless I misunderstand your position, by your logic, when the runner rounded the bag at third, you would consider obstruction if the pitcher crossed the third base line near home on her way to back up the play and the runner deviated her path based on this action (regardless of the location of the catcher).

I don't believe obstruction can occur until the runner and fielder are in positions to create obstruction. By that I determine obstruction to be when a runner is forced to alter her path due to an impending blocked path. This is of coarse where the grey comes in. At exactly what point does that occur, that depends on the situation. The runner will establish a base bath within a few steps of rounding a bag (all situations with catcher blocking without the ball):

1- If s/he runs straight to the corner of the plate and makes contact with the catcher prior to the catcher receiving the ball, easy obstruction.

2- If her/his path is directed to the outside of the plate setting up a sweep slide and passes the catcher prior to the catcher receiving the ball, no obstruction.

3- If the runner runs straight to the corner of the plate and in the last few steps decides to deviate to the outside for a sweep slide, obstruction.

4- If the runner starts straight to the corner of the plate and deviates half way, I determine that to be by choice as there is nothing immediately impeding her progress. Again this is where the grey lies, when is the runner close enough to be impeded and to that I can only go with GCB - I know it when I see it.

In the original situation, I don't have obstruction as the runner elected to run where she did, (situation 2) she was not forced to.

In this case, I believe NCAA coaches were teaching runners to do this and were getting the obstruction call which prompted Jeff Hanson to provide clarification at mid-season that this was not to be called obstruction. Of course, NCAA differs slightly from ASA and NFHS but the basic premise is the same.