View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I have got to pull out my rule book

Again, I'm winging it because my rule book is buried deep somewhere. The way that I had it explained to me was that once a play is made on the obstructed runner, you should call "dead ball" and clean it up at that point (award the runner to the protected spot, place the other runners at the appropriate bases, etc.). I had this happen during my first year. Clear (to me) obstruction at the plate. I signaled, and called obstruction, then let the runners finish their running, then awarded home to the obstructed runner. It seemed very strange to me to let the runners keep running, all the while holding out the left arm, and making no distinct out or safe call at home on a close play. So, I asked the UIC after the game and was given direction to "dead ball" it once a play is made on the obstructed runner. There is a question, either on one of the tests, or during one of our clinics that is True/False. It says something like, "Delayed dead ball is always called when there is obstruction". I answered False thinking that if the obstruction happened against a runner upon which a play is being made, then you would just call "dead ball". The correct answer was true, but I guess you call obstruction and signal delayed dead ball, then immediately call dead ball and do the awarding.

I'm adding a bit to my post. I believe that mc has hit on something that I should clarify regarding my post. Since the definition of "making a play" as I reference in my post could include a fake throw (as in the LBR), it should be mentioned that mc is more correct in that the dead ball should be called when and if the tag is applied or the runner is forced out, not simply when the defense makes a play. I was considering making a play one in which the runner is either tagged or forced out.

Plus, I don't think you should have to call the out, then call dead ball and reverse your out call, awarding bases. Seems a bit over the top. Can anyone explain why an umpire would want to handle this situation in that manner?

[Edited by streamdoc on Aug 4th, 2005 at 04:02 PM]