View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WeekendRef

35 seconds left and the "refs" team (Team A) is up by 2 and is getting ready to inbound the ball after a basket by team B . Team A inbounds the ball and is fouled in the paint right away (In their backcourt) so the ball goes back to the endline . After a timeout the "ref" comes to take out the ball and says "I still retain the right to run the endline...right ?" I look at him really funny and say "sure you can run the baseline....but I will call you for the violation" . He then tells me that I am wrong and that he can run the baseline and I really don't know the rules . I will be honest and say that I was so shocked by this whole conversation I didn't even T him up or say anything for that matter .
After the game I asked him if he was serious about what he had said about running the baseline and he told me he was dead serious and if I ever wanted to becaome a varsity official like him I should read the rule book .

Long story but a true one.....I am still shocked bythis whole conversation and I can't wait to see him again so we can have some more insightful referee discussions...I think I have found my mentor !
Did the player get fouled right before he caught it or did he with no doubt have possession of it when he got fouled?

It is always good to find a mentor. They are a great help.