View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Did a mens league game the other day and this is the first thing a player told me when he showed up to the game . I should have left at that point .
5 minutes into the game there is a foul on the free throw line extended (About 5-6 feet away from the key). My partner goes to the sideline to put the ball in after he called a foul (We only switch on shooting fouls or if we find ourselves on the same side too long) and the "ref" starts telling him the ball should be taken out on the baseline . My partner looks at me I shake my head and my partner attempts to give the ball to the player again and the "ref" says real loud that the ball should be taken out on the baseline . My partner looks a little confused so I blow my whistle step out towards my partner and tell him to put the ball in play from where he is . The "ref" gripes a little more but we play on .
At half time the "ref" proceeds to demonstrate physically where the ball is taken out on the endline when a foul or violation is committed and backs this up by saying "All fouls committed inside the arc and below the foul line are taken out on the endline" . I just smile and tell him that statement is incorrect and I have the rule book in my car and we can look at it after the game . My partner then proceeds to tell me that this guys refs a lot of his games (My partner is a Varsity coach as well as reffing in the off season) and is very knowledgable . I smile again and tell him that may be so but he is wrong here .
35 seconds left and the "refs" team (Team A) is up by 2 and is getting ready to inbound the ball after a basket by team B . Team A inbounds the ball and is fouled in the paint right away (In their backcourt) so the ball goes back to the endline . After a timeout the "ref" comes to take out the ball and says "I still retain the right to run the endline...right ?" I look at him really funny and say "sure you can run the baseline....but I will call you for the violation" . He then tells me that I am wrong and that he can run the baseline and I really don't know the rules . I will be honest and say that I was so shocked by this whole conversation I didn't even T him up or say anything for that matter .
After the game I asked him if he was serious about what he had said about running the baseline and he told me he was dead serious and if I ever wanted to becaome a varsity official like him I should read the rule book .

Long story but a true one.....I am still shocked bythis whole conversation and I can't wait to see him again so we can have some more insightful referee discussions...I think I have found my mentor !