View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
NF

I remember discussing a play like this last year and I thought was outcome was TD in 1) and down at A1 in 2). If I recall correctly it was because in both situations the receiver didn't possess the ball until he contacted the ground. In situation 1) he falls to the ground after contact by B so you rule forward progress in the end zone but in situation 2) there is no forward progress because the receiver kept his feet and was tackled at the 1 yard line.

I think the example cited was forward progress near the line to gain.
The NF rules support TD in both cases. Obvious in case number 1, but also in case #2 if you look at
8-2-1-b "it is a TD when a loose ball is caught while the ball is on or behind the opponents EZ."
2-4-1 "catch is establishing player possession of a live ball in flight...
2-32-1 "a ball in player possession is a live ball held or controlled by a player after he has caught it...
2-15-2 "when an airborn player makes a catch, FP is the furthest point of advancement after he possesses the ball if contacted by a defender."

Put all of these together, and we have a TD if he is contacted while possessing the ball above the goal line and driven back.
Not the same as NCAA, or in NF if he is NOT contacted.