View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
OK, I see how we're missing here. I clearly understand all-but one. I better had since I work the referee position in my crew. The reason I'm asking the question I'm asking is because for the OTHER IP fouls where the play is affected they clearly state the basic spot and tell you to apply all-but one. In the case where there is no interference with the play they say enforce from the basic spot.

Please take a look at the comment on page 71 of the case book. See the difference between bullet b and c. Then, you'll see why I'm asking this question.

I'm GUESSING that since an A player did not influence the play they said the basic spot and didn't want us to consider all-but-one. I hope my inquiry now makes sense. Frankly, I realize it almost sounds like I'm asking a penalty enforcement 101 question. I almost am. But, this comment has me a thinking they want this one foul enforced differently (meaning, throw out all-but-one).

Perhaps I'm reading to much into it. But again why would the fed go out of their way to cite all-but-one in one bullet and not the other. My line of thinking was they wanted this enforced similar to the old non-player foul but take a possible previous spot into enforcement if the foul happened during loose-ball play and end of run for running play.

Whew! That's it. Am I making sense of this?
Making sense what you are saying and I was suprised by your earlier response cuz I know you from your posts and are very knowledgable. I see the differences in the case book references you stated. The SD state guy I called said apply all but one, but I am calling my Iowa super tomorrow morning and will ask him and point out these differences. I called the SD guy cuz we discussed it at a clinic I was at in SD this summer. I like your scenario much better. I was just thinking though, is there any other time when a foul by the offense is not enforced by the all but one priciple??? I cannot think of one off the top of my head. That kind of throws another kink in this thing.