Thread: My 1st Review
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Hey Guys n' Gals,

Well, I had my 1st review (Slowpitch) this past Sunday and got the results today. I'm a little baffled, however, at one comment made about my plate mechanics while the pitch is being delivered. I haven't had a chance to discuss this with him or my UIC but would love your input here.

Here's his comment: Set position - See Rule pg. 208. This is upright or slightly leaning foward. Mark (that's me) moves & crouches down as the pitch comes in. He needs to just get a set position.

My problem with his evaluation is the fact that I got my mechs directly off the video with Henry Pollard (I think that's his name, right?). He points out that you should remain standing as the pitch is beginning in order to better call illegal pitches, and as the pitch comes in, crouch down to make the call.

So, as I sit here getting ready to go work some games tonight I'm stuck thinking, "Who do I listen too? This part time umpire/reviewer, or Henry Pollard?"

Frustrating to say the least. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and give Henry "Mr Umpire" Pollard the benefit of the doubt and continue to follow his lead. At least until I clear this up with my UIC.

Thanks for listening, I needed to vent and again would love your input.

[Edited by Alameda on Aug 2nd, 2005 at 07:39 PM]