View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by Illini_Ref
I umpired a Little League State Tournament game last night. The defense was instituting the time honored tradition of yelling "hey batter" with each pitch. I really don't see a problem with this, but the opposing coach did, and asked me about it. I told him that as long as the kids didn't use names, or say anything derogatory, that I didn't have a problem with it. This is what the rules state:

4.06- No manager, coach or player, shall at any time, whether from the bench or the playing field or elsewhere -

(1) incite, or try to incite, by word or sign, a demonstration by spectators;

(2) use language which will in any manner refer to or reflect upon opposing players, manager, coach, an umpire or spectators;

Now, does #2 mean they can't do it? They were referring to and opposing player. What do you think?
Can't do it. "Hey batter" is refering to the opposing team. They can be as loud as they want (whether the umpire likes it or not), but they need to come up with ways not to refer to the other team. It's really not hard to do, most teams refer to their pitcher's number in "cheering" him on...loud enough and with different cadences, obviously to mess with the batter. From the dugout they'll refer to their batter's number the same way to mess with the pitcher.