View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

There were a few editorial changes this year. One change was the definition of an intentional foul. I've read it a couple of times and I don't understand what they're getting at. It seems to be all the same words and phrases only rearranged a little. Is there some deep semantic clarification that I'm missing here?

The previous version:

An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, to neutralize an opponent's obvious advantageous position, contact away from the ball or when not playing the ball. It may or may not be premeditated and is not based on the severity of the act. A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player causes excessive contact with an opponent.

The new version:

An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul which neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position. Contact away from the ball or when not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, shall be intentional. Intentional fouls may or may not be premeditated and ard not based solely on the severity of the act. A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player causes excessive contact with an opponent.