View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

I agree there must have been some X-Lax instructions given. I hate to see the middle school and high school kids I coach and referee see that type of game played. Bad habits are hard to break.

I'm a first year ref who has made it through JV games, and 20 summer league games. I was thrown into a college v. college alum game the Sunday before the MLL game, and the other ref had to cancel because of family emergency, so I was on my own. Felt pretty bad about some missed calls until I watched the MLL championship!

That raises a question. Do you call a slash on sound alone? I was going down field, following play and took my eyes away from man with ball because of some contact closer to me. I heard what was probably a slash to the helmet, (but could have been a loud stick check), but since I didn't see it, I didn't call it. Needless to say, lots of noise from the sideline. I've always operated on the principle that I can't call a foul I don't see and generally respond "Coach, I'm sorry, I didn't see it. If I see it, I'll call it." I had spent some time with coaches, captains, and teams at line up to explain that I was going to be doing this game by myself and needed some help on when they returned onto the field, etc.

Any suggestions?

[Edited by kclaxdad on Sep 12th, 2001 at 10:49 PM]