View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
My state included the NFHS/referee guide 2005 which goes over the new rules. One does not make sense to me. On page 2 it gives play 1. First and 10 for Aon its own 10 yard line. Prior to the snap B11 counts the defense and comes up with 12 players. He runs off the fieldto B's sideline at the A20. He then realizes that they are short a player and runs back on the field before the snap. During the play A1 runs for 5 yards. They said this is a 5 yard dead ball foul enforced from the suceeding spot. HUH??? If it is a dead ball foul, one that occured before the snap, then how is it enforced from the suceeding spot. It should have been blown dead and enforced from the 10, thus making it 1st and 5 from the 15. Am I off on this and missing something?? Or am I right and the publication is wrong?
All dead ball fouls are enforced from the suceeding spot. However, in this case I do not see the foul. The B player remained a player the entire time, so you cannot call illegal substitution. The only thing you could possibly call would be IP if you ruled that the player left the field to gain an advantage, and that would be a 15-yard live-ball foul. Again, see 3.7.3 Situation A as noted on a previous post.