View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

When you say where you were when you heard seems a bit funny now, even though it wasn't. I was in a 9:00 meeting, someone was late and said someone had flown a plane into the WTC. We went on with the meeting not knowing the true gravity of the situation.

My first thought, and those in the meeting with me (except for the person who knew but didn't elaborate) was that it was a cessna or other small sightseeing craft that got too close, disoriented, heart attack, etc. It wasn't until after ten we got out and saw a crowd of about 100 people huddled around the TV in the break area. I got to there right as the first building collapsed. It was still a minute or two before I realized it was an airliner not a small plane, and to realize what really happened. To go from thinking there was an accident to a huge attack in the blink of an eye was pretty dramatic.

It made our meeting seem worthless, and I really cannot tell you much of what went on. There was a reporter who summed it up best last night I think. She had reached down and picked up a ream of the office paper we have all seen falling. It was budget analysis for one client and an insurance anlaysis for another. She said "To think, 24 hours ago, this was pretty important stuff, to someone".