Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
What were you going to protest?
Luke,

The play began with one out, R3 and R1 (OBR rules, 14U Travel). Batter hit a line drive to left center. My F8 got a good jump on the ball, and he made a nice running catch. Both R3 and R1 had started on the batted ball. After the catch, they both started back to retouch. My F8, after regaining control, threw the ball towards home. My F1 cutoff the throw, and attempted a throw to 3B to try and double off the R3. While perfectly "on line" it sailed about 5' over my F5's outstretched arm and ended up in the street which runs parallel to the 3B line.

The BU called "time" and awarded R3 home and R1 3B. R3 retouched and then went home. R1, on the other hand, stopped between 1B and 2B when the ball went out of play, and proceeded to touch 2B on his way to 3B before he realized his coaches thought it was important that he retouch 1B.

When he realized this, he did go back and retouch 1B (touching 2B on his way by), then properly proceeded to his "awarded" 3B.

My players then executed a properly constituted appeal on R1's failure to legally retouch on a caught batted ball. I was intending to appeal a misapplication of 7.10(a) Approved Ruling (2) - the runner's retouch of 1B after touching 2B while the ball was dead invalidated his retouch.

The weird thing about this situation was that, due to my screwup, we had arrived at the field two hours before the scheduled game time instead of our customary one hour. We used about a half hour of the "extra" time discussing and reviewing appeals. We actually talked about this situation during the discussion.

When the play happened during the game, and the R1 finally retouched 1B, my F1 looked over and said, "Do it anyway?". I just nodded. I was quite pleased with my players.

JM

(Edited to clarify which post I was responding to.)

[Edited by CoachJM on Jul 27th, 2005 at 02:21 AM]