View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Last week I was at a twelve year old tournament game. Bottom of the fifth and the right handed batter has faced two pitches. He stands with his right toe inside the back corner of the box and his left foot two feet outside the box taking the sign from the third base coach. His bat is in his left hand with the barrel end on the ground outside the box. The pitcher ten feet from the rubber runs to the rubber and throws a quick pitch before the batter can respond. The Ump calls a strike and the stands erupt. The patch ump states that there is a rule to keep the game moving along without delays that the batter must call time out. After this the game deteriorated and the quick pitch became the new law of the land. I thought the batter had to have both feet in the box and be set before the pitch could be delivered. The safety of a batter looking away while a pitcher throws has to be more important than saving a few extra minutes for the ground crew between games. Is there a rule I am unaware of?