View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
...New case book play 5-1-2-b covers this Bob. If a substitute enters the field during the down, but does not influence the play, touch the ball, etc... it is a PS enforcement for IP.
REPLY: Thanks Monte...I had seen that, but it was also unofficially listed as a case book error. They call it a non-player foul but then specify previous spot enforcement (???). How does that jive with 10-4-5c? Now...in that case play, they cite rules 9-5-1a (for the taunting). They also cite a non-existent 9-6-1a. Personally, I can't find anything in 3-7 (Substitution) or 9-6 (Participation) prohibiting this. Yeah...it was there last year as a non-player foul (3-7-1). But that went away when they reorganized 3-7 and moved the infraction to 9-6. So, as best as I can tell, there is no longer anything in the rules expressly forbidding a player/sub from entering the field with no intention of participating, let alone specifying a previous spot enforcement. Unless, I'm missing something, case play 5.1.2B is just another 'shoot-from-the-hip' interpretation with no real rule support. Can you find anything in the rule book to back up case play...and the enforcement?

I guess that technically, JDJL is correct that you could penalize it under 9-8-1i. But under nothing that I can find is it ever a live ball/previous spot foul.

[Edited by Bob M. on Jul 26th, 2005 at 04:04 PM]
I emailed our state guy earlier and he referenced 5-1-2-b, but I don't know if he was aware of the casebook error. He said he would seek clarification when he went to the national meeting in Indianapolis on the 18th and 19th, but I did not here anything back yet. It would be nice to know.

A PS enforcement make sense so you cannot have a 50 yard penalty, but we do need clarification. However, if he is running in at the 50, isn't he trying to get in to "become part of the play?"