View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to zebraman55
Smile Was it truly a delay?

Quote:
Originally posted by camaulds
In a freshman FB game I had the following play.

Team A in punt formation...Team B has two receivers back, one forward (R1) and one deep (R2)...A punts and the airborne punt is coming down between the 2 receivers...They are converging toward each other as the punt comes down...R2, intent on catching the ball over his shoulder, signals for a fair catch...After that R1 makes the catch and advances upfield...I immediately blew the play dead and flagged the spot...Our Referee said there should be a penalty for delay of game at the spot of the foul.
In your play above, how far did the R1 proceed? Did he stop when you blew your whistle? Did he run all the way to the end zone?

Common sense should play a part of your decision. Although R1 may not have known R2 gave a fair catch signal, there must be some latitude given to R1. If R1 stops when you blew your whistle, no harm no foul. Give him the benefit of the doubt. If he continues to proceed for several yards, consideration could be given to a flag for delay. But, common sense again would make sure itis necessary. THESE ARE FRESHMAN! Certainly, not versed in the rules of the game.

In this situation, I would find a way to stop the play, explain it to R1 (and possibly to the rest of his team mates (and coach)), spot the ball, 1st and 10 and let's go!

zeb