View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 10, 2001, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twofatgy
I still don't understand how ASA can construe that the Dropped 3rd Strike Rule is invoked when, by definition, it cannot be enforced. If there is a runner on 1B with less than two outs and the catcher drops the 3rd strike, the batter is out. The Dropped 3rd Strike Rule allows the Batter to attempt to reach base safely if there is a dropped third strike with 1B unoccupied or if 1B is occupied with 2 outs. Thats what the rule does. If the catcher drops the 3rd strike with a runner on 1B with less than 2 outs, it should be the same as if they caught the ball. After all, the batter is out and runners may advance at their own risk. Anybody wish to explain this to me.

I am a coach, not an umpire, so type very slowly.

Thanks.
Coach,

Where did you get the idea that ASA has "construed" anything not in the rule book or other form of publication? Please don't confuse our bantering about as an "official" interpretation of any type. Though many of us can get a little "tight" when our opinions are questioned, this format is probably one of the best ways to make umpires stop and think once or twice about some of the rare and tricky things that can happen to us on the field.