View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I am going to attempt to address this topic the best I can without getting personal, etc. I assume the one state that Ms. Struckoff is referencing in North Dakota(if it is not ND then this is just FYI)--only because of the "center in the trail position" reference in the original post. ND does encourage the trail official to come up the center of the floor and then continue to "work the middle" of the floor as the trail. However, the center DOES NOT work directly under the basket as the original post states. Instead the lead has responsibility for the ball below the free throw line extended--we are encouraged to stay as wide as the ball on ball side and close with the ball to the paint. We then go ball side with the ball or our players who are in a competitive match-up---basically the same coverage for the lead in the women's NCAA game. The trail works the "center area" of the floor and moves to get the best possible angle for any play.

In essence it's the women's college mechanic (emphasis on active lead) with the trail moving to the center area of the floor to get the angles that the T or C would get. Is this the best mechanic? No, but it's not the worst either. Those of us on this board that are veteran's have been through numerous changes in mechanics with the Federation and CCA--all have been attempts to improve, but not all have been successful.

I don't know how long we'll keep it or how successful it's been, but notice that I did use the word "encourage" a couple of times above. I did this because even though our state office wants this mechanic used, they also realize the most important aspect of officiating mechanics is that both or all (3-whistle)use the same mechanics. So whether it is NF, CCA, or ND modified--as long the officating team is on the same page we are within compliance with our state.

Since we are a small state (650,000) people I thought I would share a couple of other items.
--We have been using a 3-point line in our highest division since the 1982-83 (no typo 82-83) season.
--We have been using a shot clock in our boys and girls game for the last six years (highest division).
--We have used 3-whistle coverage in our state and regional tournaments for the last 4 years.

The NF has not accepted all of these changes with open arms and has cost our state a voice with the NF rules committee.