View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 02:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

I just came back from the IHSA Official's Convention.

Mary Struckoff, Editor of the Basketball Rulebook made a presentation highlighting the NF training program. The different programs seem really interesting and might be a really good tool for newer officials. For those that do not know Struckoff was ahead of the Official's Department in Illinois for several years before she moved to the National Federation.

One of the things she said and made very clear was that any state can do whatever they like. She made it very clear that Illinois and other states have different variations as to what specific mechanics are used or not. She even highlighted a particular state that in their 2 person mechanics (I will not use the state's name) puts the Trail official in the center of the court and the Lead directly under the basket. She also said that this particular state is the only one out of 49 states that uses this mechanic. She said the NF cannot do anything about it, nor wants to do anything about it. She said that NF mechanics are just a base, but if a state wants to use different coverage or signal mechanics, that is up to them.

I mainly say this because I have read many posts over the years and in the past few weeks where officials were mad because another state or official did not follow the NF mechanics to the letter. Mary Struckoff made it very clear that they know of many states having their own mechanics and said it was typical for states to have a variation.

Mary also talked about the NF Rules process and went into great detail as to how rules are changed. She stated that all Rules Editors in all sports go over the philosophy behind the rules so that a similar philosophy that might be in football might also be applied to volleyball as it might relate to safety or any other issues the NF thinks are important.

Peace