View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Perhaps it's a matter of how you read the initial post (on esleeze) and this one. I don't use the step and reach baseball philosophy. I use the "likely out" philosophy.

I will say that the esleeze post seemed more clear cut than this one. It says 2 steps here. It's possible that F3 or F1 had a likely out anyway, even had BR not been forced to alter her path. It's grey, and HTBT - but what I'm ruling on as PU in this case is: "Would batter have made first if she hadn't had to alter." If yes, OBS. If no, OUT.
Now we are getting to the meat, I think; and Dakota kind of stated the same, if indirectly. HTBT, for sure, but:

If fielder still had a chance for an out, then it could be an out, but not obstruction. In the same case, if BR had an opportunity to avoid interference but didn't, that would be interference. If fielder has a chance for an out, BR has no chance to avoid the collision, we have a wreck and no call in ASA.

If fielder did not have a chance for an out without the runner altering, we cannot have interference (protection is off), but we can and likely have obstruction.