View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 10:38am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
4. Senior memebers not working with them and or getting so many different "pointers". An association needs to be on the same sheet as much as possible. I can remember being told so many different things on signals, where to move, when to move, etc for working a wing spot my head hurt.

My second year we had something like 27 new officials that year. I think we have kept something like 3 or 4. There are only a few left from my rookie class. We split our 1st - 3rd year officials out from the rest to get training on mechanics. But again, some other senior guys think that they do it the best way and it can get rough on a young guy.
We had a simular problem with senior members help the "cadets"...It was cool to help the cadets when I first started. Since that time I have become the cadet trainer and put the thought that it is cool to help out the new guys or they will never h=get better.

Before I took over the cadet classes we averaged 2 guys passing the written test out of 30. Now, in two year we have 20 guys pass and have about 7 guys looking to pass this year. Also we have 8 first year guys.

Last year we have a big push for officials and had 30 first year guys. We start our classes the first week of June and go through the season every weds nite. By 3 weeks in we lost 10 guys. We are lucky to have 5-6 guys left from those 30 guys.