Thread: Illegal Glove
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EdJW
This glove is not new to the market. I've seen it used in PONY, NSA, FED, NCAA, NPF, and NCAA games since spring 2004. No umpire has ever questioned whether it is a glove. All anyone has to do is get one and put it on. It clearly is a glove. There is no way that anyone would ever call it a mitt.

I checked the NCAA site for rules and regulations (in the absence of this information on the ASA website). There are no NCAA rules, regulations, interpretations, umpire guidelines, etc. that would define this glove to be a mitt in disguise. So, it appear that some umpires are trying to convince others to make a judgment call on this glove. But, this is not a judgment call. It has to be a rules call. In the absence of definitive, clearly worded and publicly available rules, this glove cannot be thrown out of a game simply because some umpire mistakenly thinks it might be a mitt. JMO.

That may be true for some. NFHS of course should have no problem since either may be used. I haven't checked any others, cause I rarely call other leagues, I will check NCAA before next season starts up though.

The main point though, Kevin Ryan is not just "some umpire". he is the ASA Director of Umpires...The BIG BOSS! This Akadema thing may look like a shoe for all I care, but if the ASA ruling is as Duke's post stated, I won't allow it for any other than F2 and F3.