View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

tomegun,

Just a few comments, but please don't take them personally.

The knock I had/have with a 7 year official being a clinician at a camp is this. Although his mechanics might be perfect (which they were not), he can't possibly have enough experience. There just isn't enough time to have seen what the 15-20-30 year official has seen. This does not make him a bad official, but I have to wonder about the experience.

Again, I'll use the simple analogy of a surgeon. Would you want a doctor operating on you with a few years of experience or one that say, has 30 years with the knife? More often than not, we choose the person with more experience. This does not mean they are necessarily better, but I think experience does count for something and surely in the real working world, experience does count. If it did not, then why is it necessary on every resume?

>You mentioned a gripe and IAABO. IAABO, enough said.

My gripe or should I say issues are not with IAABO but more with the differences across the boards.

>While you may not understand the mentality behind some >mechanics being put aside I hope you can understand that >something must seperate us as officials so we can't all >have the same exact mechanics.

I don't agree with this at all. We are to in effect not be seen nor heard. Why would I want to seperate myself from my fellow officials. The issue with a uniform mechanic code is to make us all alike, not seperate us. Why wear the same uniform if we are to seperate ourselves. On the contrary, we are taught, at least I was, that we should all look alike, talk alike, and work alike. No glasses, no overweight, same uniform, etc. So why throw out the mechanics? Why then even have a mechanics manual if we are to seperate ourselves? It sends the wrong message. I was always told that you were to be indistinguishable from your partner, and that you SHOULD NOT stick out.

If we all can't have the same mechanics, then throw them out.

>If your were to "make it" and worked for more than one >supervisor what would you do if they wanted different >things? If you did a HS game one day and a college game >the next day what would you do? Maybe adjust?

This is a bone of contention. As I said, the supervisors have way to much power. They have way to much control and quite frankly, interpret the game through their eyes instead of simply following the rules. FWIW, they have bent over backwards in my opinion to please the coaches.

As for HS and college, they are two different games. I would suspect that there would be differences and there are, and these are with the RULES. Mechanics should not differ all that much except when there is a rule difference. Other than that, what right does the college guy have in throwing out the mechanics manual just because he made it? I must confess, it is a sore spot with me. Kind of like smoking. Don't preach to me about the ills of smoking while you are puffing away. Back to the old "do as I say, not as I do." To me it just sends a mixed message.

>I would like to know what you mean by "I got my 3-man >stuff down." If this is as written then that could be why >someone with 7 years has enough experience to be D-1. This >official could already have his "3-man stuff down" and is >on the fast track moving up.

When I moved, I moved into an area that uses the 3 man system. Coming from an area that was strictly 2 man and having worked 2 man for some 19 years, has some drawbacks. I was thrown into the fire last winter in the 3 man system and ended up making my way through it due to some very forgiving partners. This spring I worked in tournaments every weekend that involved 3 man. I also thought it would be wise in attending a team camp that taught only 3 man, which is regarded as the best HS 3 man camp in the state. Since I needed more work and insight, I decided to attend and I am glad I did. I got my rotations down, and my coverage responsibilites down. Now all I need is more on court experience. That is what I meant when I said I got my 3 man stuff down.

As for the fast track to moving up, this assumes that all officals want to move up. Personally, I have passed that point in my life and other things are more important than the almighty schedule. I could care less if I move up at this point in my life. I officiate becasue I like it, not in hopes of moving up.

Over the years, I have seen far to many couples split up over moving up. I've seen far to many drink to excess all in the name of moving up. I've seen far to many shuffle their kids off to military or private school while they are away from home 6 nights a week and then wonder why is my kid so rebellious. Cat Steven's "Cat in the Cradle" is a constant reminder of my priorities.

Time has passed me. I've had my chances to move up and have turned both of them down. I'm happy where I am at. Of course, this is another bone of contention I have with the general position within the officiating world that says if you don't want to move up, there must be something wrong with you. Yea, I'm happily married and want to stay married. Yea, I'm not an alcoholic and have no intention in becomming one all in the name of moving up. Yea, I want to see my kids more often than peeking in on them while they sleep. So yea, I don't want to move up, nor do I need to move up. I just want to do the best job where I am at, and I can live with that fact.

Just some thoughts. Sorry to get off target.