View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

David --

Consider two pitchers.

The first stands in the set position with his feet in a line between the rubber and home plate. He then pivots, turns and steps toward first and throws to first for a pick-off. Legal, right?

The second stands in an exaggerated "closed" position. The line between his feet extends toward the third-base dugout. He then pivots, turns and steps toward first and throws to first for a pick-off. Legal, right? (A strange starting position, but still legal).

Now, the first pitcher, steps toward third in a feint. Stop the action. He's in (substantially) the same position as the second pitcher. Why couldn't he turn and throw to first? (Physically, I mean. I recognize it's a balk in other than FED).

Even with the "rut" you mentioned, if the pitcher moves the foot from the rut as part of the move toward first and not as part of the move toward third, it's a balk. The pitcher must disengage as part of, or as a result of, the move toward third for the 3-1 move to be legal (again, non-FED).

That said, I've never seen a pitcher not disengage as part of the move toward third (other than on the Evans balk video).