Thread: Boycott?
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 07, 2001, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Mark,

You are comparing apples to oranges on many levels.

1st - Unions do and have protected workers for many years. But let's be honest, their true intent was to protect the poor souls in the mills and factories who truly risked their lives on a daily basis for little pay. Unions helped protect my family members in the steel mills, but I find it a long stretch ( and a bit insulting) to apply that same principle to any professional official. With this new offer entry level officials will be getting paid close to $2400 for three and a half hours worth of work. I think only the very top lawyers get that hourly wage (670+ per hour). I do not think they are being taken advantage of or abused andto hide behind the union and what unions stand for is flat wrong in my opionion. It is just as bad as Pat Ewing giving us that take about "we need lots of money because we spend lots of money". I think unions have far outgrown their need in pro sports. They have free agency, they have million dollar average salaries, time to bring them back in line with the rest of the world in my opinion.

And to call "replacement" officials scabs is a bit much I think. There is no contract, so they are not keeping anyone out of a job. As one will find with basic economics, they are wiling to work for the offered wage, while the current ones are not. This is called perfect elasticity of supply. Either you take it or leave it, and the current group has chosen to leave it. Revel in our market economy actually working.

2nd - Why are you mad at other officials trying to fill an opening in HS ball? It is not their fault the spot was open, they were just tryign to fill it. I am sure some had greedy intent, but others might have been open and wanted to fill that day. Your beef was and should have been with the school and assignor. The other officials should not be looked down upon in this case, they are not the ones who acted unethically the school and assignor were the one out of line.

BTW - Are you going to enlighten us as to why you got popped by the timers hubby?