View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, 1st I know there is no set time limit but here is the play. Runner heading to home, throw from short stop trying to save a run runner slides hard into catcher (who had the ball no OBS) catcher makes tag PU calls out, catcher is injured by the slide and is hitting the top of her mitt making a "T" symbol and verbally requesting time. PU does not grant time as BR, has just rounded 1st and is heading for 2nd. F2 continues to make "T" symbol as team mates are around her knowing she is hurt. Ball falls out of the mitt, PU then calls the runner safe as the ball is dropped. To give you an idea of the time involved the tag was made as the runner got to 1st and the ball came free when the runner was about 2-3 steps from 2nd base.

Here are the questions,
1) Would you agree with PU that she dropped the ball, runner safe?
a) My thoughts are if he questioned control why not ask her to show you the ball prior to banging the out?
2) In my judgment she released the ball in the act of a following action, I see it as the same as dropping a caught fly ball while trying to throw it. She had control, got the out and then while trying to do the next action, in this case request time, she dropped the ball.

What say you all?? Not that it mattered at the time, but the mom called back to let the coach know the hand was broken.