Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
If hitting the dribbler's hand causes the ball to go out of bounds, then it is not incidental contact, and therefore a foul.

However, I'm not going to call a foul. As far as I'm concerned, I saw B hit it OOB, and I'm awarding the ball to A. I suspect that in practice, most of you are going to call it that way as well.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

BTW, can we add "The hand is part of the ball" to the list of rules myths?
Wrong.

The rule says incidental to playing the ball, not incidental contact. What happens to the ball has nothing to do with it being a foul or not. We are to judge whether or not the defender was playing the ball and frankly short of the defender saying I'm intentially going to hit that hand, it would be highly unlikely it could ever be ruled a foul.

It's not a myth, what else does 10-6-1 say if it is not, the hand is considered part of the ball while playing the ball?
So I ask, AGAIN....

If this is so, should we not award the ball back to Team A - because the hand is part of the ball, and therefore contacting the hand while on the ball is the same has hitting only the ball?
Unfortunately, it says that only under 10-6-1 talking about contact that is or is not a foul and not under 7-2-1. Common sense tells me that it could easily be applied to OOB plays as well, but the rules, as written, don't back that up.

What most officials are saying, and then calling, is that it is not likely that B would hit all hand without touching some ball.