Thread: Geometry 101
View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 17, 2005, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL

I was asked this question a while back, and have yet to come up with any answers.

If the diamond, (infield) is a square, and the plate, 1B and 3B are all totally inside that square, why is 2B positioned with the mid-point on the corner, and not totally inside the infield? This makes the runner have to travel an extra 7.5" between 1B to 2B, and also 2B to 3B, than from 3B to home, or home to 1B.

Of course that really doesn't make any difference in the game, but you may be able to win a few "bar bets" if you know the distance is further from 2B to 3B, than 3B to home!

Its really just a slow friday night, the youngest kid is sick and we are staying home with him, but I still wonder if anyone has an answer other than that's the way it's always been!
Now that no one has answered your question, let me not answer it. I have no idea why 3/4 of 2nd base is not within the diamond.